The Lancashire Witches 2012 Anniversary
"LANCASHIRE WITCHES 400"
2012 will mark four hundred years since the imprisonment and trials of the Lancashire Witches, otherwise known as the Pendle Witches. Learn more about this darker part of Lancashire's history with a special programme of events, book launches and exhibitions running throughout the year.
In 2012, several districts within Lancashire, including Lancaster, Pendle, Burnley, South Ribble and Ribble Valley will come together to explore the mysteries surrounding the Lancashire Witch trials and to highlight the places and venues significant to the story. Find out more about the witches' story and the 1612 trials...
The map found via this link shows some of the places of significance associated with the story.
To find out more about the events and activities happening during the year, and about the places and venues associated with the story, please contact Lancaster Visitor Information Centre on 01524 582394 / firstname.lastname@example.org .
To purchase Lancashire and Pendle Witches books and
commemorative gifts, visit our online shop.
Some of the things going on during the year to commemorate the occasion; click on the name of each event to find out more:
- Exhibition: Spellbound: Superstition, stories and the silver screen
- Exhibition: A Wonderfull Discoverie: Lancashire Witches 1612-2012
- Lancashire Witches Guided Walks around Lancaster City
- Guided tours of Lancaster Castle.
- A multimedia exhibition spanning time and place: “Witch Hunts, then and now”
- Wrights and Sites: Signs and Wonders - Walking Performances
- The Pendle Witches' Trail leaflet - a driving trail between Lancaster and Pendle
- Events in the Pendle District
Lancaster City Council's "Witches 400" themed Flower Show entry.
This colourful and imaginative display can now be seen outside the shop and cafe at Williamson's Park.